You can also listen to the article in audio version.
Prime Minister Petr Fiala (ODS) announced on Thursday that a compromise had been reached with the doctors.
The planned protest against overtime hours, which was supposed to start in hospitals on December 1, has been postponed for the time being, after the doctors heard a promise to change the law and increase wages and salaries by 9.8 billion crowns.
According to the vice president of the Czech Medical Chamber, Jan Přáda, the definitive averting of the threat of traffic restrictions in hospitals will only come when everything is black and white. That should happen early next week.
“The best news I’ve heard in the last six months. The hospital will operate in normal mode and patients will be able to be treated as they should,” Miloslav Ludvík, director of the Motol University Hospital, told Seznam Zprávám.
Even so, the schedule of services in the hospital managed by him will remain unchanged. “Services will run as per the normal schedule as set for December. For the first 14 days, we tried to concentrate care as much as possible, so at this moment it will hopefully be fine, there may be some shifts, but the most important for us is the first quarter of next year, and hopefully it will be fine,” explained Ludvík.
Hospitals will wait for further developments
The news about the expected conclusion of the agreement is also perceived very positively by other hospitals and they assume that normal operations will be restored.
“Of course we welcome the news. For the next few days, it will be an adjustment in the schedule of already planned services. The public has information to ensure care on the hospital’s website and we will wait for further developments, where we believe that the hospital’s operation will return to normal,” said spokeswoman Šárka Urbánková from the hospital in Vyškov.
“During Friday, the hospital management will discuss the next course of action with union representatives. The management of the hospital will wait for the specific conditions of this agreement and will proceed in accordance with the instructions of the founder – the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic. In the coming days, the hospital will proceed according to the already planned shift operation,” Jan Špelda, the spokesperson of the Faculty Hospital of Hradec Králové, told Seznam Zprávám.
“We will restore canceled surgery dates”
“I welcome the agreement, but given that I don’t know anything about how the money will be reimbursed, if it will go to all hospitals and how much will be added to the doctors, I cannot comment on anything else,” responded the chairman of the board of the Prachatice Hospital and head Association of Czech and Moravian Hospitals Michal Čarvaš.
Vice-President of the Czech Medical Chamber, Jan Přáda, mentioned after today’s meeting with the Prime Minister that after the signing of the agreement, hospitals could begin to return to their normal regime, but it will not be that easy.
“It is not possible. Schedules have to be rewritten and that will take time. The services are given for the moment, people have arranged their personal lives accordingly, so it will be quite difficult to reschedule everything,” Čarvaš added.
Director of Bulovka University Hospital Jan Kvaček sees the announced agreement as positive news for patients. According to him, it could mean that the canceled dates of some operations will be restored.
“I’m not at all familiar with the details of that agreement, so it’s difficult for me to comment on it yet, however, if the protest is withdrawn, it meant securing urgent care, but limiting elective care, so this could mean that elective care will not be limited ,” he evaluated fresh information about the agreement.
“The question is whether some patients have already found a solution somewhere else, but the waiting times for operations are very long these days, so I think those places will fill up even if they are booked at the last minute,” he said.
In addition to postponing operations, Bulovka was also expected to significantly limit some chronic outpatient clinics. According to the head of the hospital, this might not happen if the protest is withdrawn.