Ukrainian authorities on Sunday launched an investigation into allegations that Russian forces killed surrendering Ukrainian soldiers. The entire investigation was triggered by grainy footage on social media of two men in uniform being shot at close range after emerging from a trench, the Associated Press agency writes.
The video shows the soldiers, one of whom has his hands up, come out with a gun in his hand and lie on the ground, after which a group of Russian soldiers appear to open fire. The authenticity of the video or the circumstances under which it was filmed could not be immediately verified, and it was unclear when the incident occurred.
Ukraine’s Prosecutor General’s Office launched a criminal investigation on Sunday, hours after the Ukrainian military’s press office said in an online statement that the footage was genuine. “The video shows a group in Russian uniforms shooting at close range at two unarmed soldiers in Ukrainian uniforms who are surrendering,” the prosecutor’s office said in a message on the Telegram network on Sunday.
The Russian Defense Ministry did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment. As of Sunday evening, no public statement from the Russian government or military had been released about the video.